Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Last Door

I officially feel like a missionary. Well.. that's to say that every day I feel older and older in the mission, but just this week everything has been clicking again. I have been mastering the finer parts of the language. I have learned the finer parts of planning lessons close together, really getting to know investigators and teaching according to their needs, and being able to express myself clearly. I'm beginning to prefer spanish sometimes, it's quicker and straight to the point. There's a lot of politically correct fluff in English that I don't like anymore.. But just so you know if I talk a little more direct.. almost to the level of being tacky and offensive, you'll know why. I have no problem describing someone as gordita, flaquita, blanco or negro, all are kind of offensive. But I like it. You can just say things as they are.

This week has been really remarkable. I wanted to start out with the story of a man we found a couple weeks ago. I know this happens on the mission, but it had always happened to other missionaries and not to me. Anyway, I was out with my companion and we were contacting an apartment in a wealthier part of town. We had had no success. The entire neighborhood is Catholic. It's right next to the giant catholic church here. Anyway, we had doors slammed in our face, rejection to the point we were about to give up on it, but we didn't.. We contacted till the last apartment, the LAST ONE, when we found a man named Uvaldo. He let us in and we talked, and he told us he was one of the first ones in this country to let in the missionaries, was very interested in their message but moved to where he lives now and lost touch with the church. The topic of church had weighed a lot on his mind of late.. That's when we knocked on his door. We were literally an answer to his prayers. He has a 3 week date to be baptized.

Amazing what kinds of things happen when you are a missionary. But, even more amazing is the types of things that happen when you are an obedient, hard working missionary. The Lord prepares people for you. I have an absolute testimony of that.

So, in other news, I DID get the packages. Both. And they couldn't have come at a better time as the money that we usually get on wednesdays isn't coming until friday. I have food.. and the rest of the mission is suffering for 2 days I think. Don't worry, I'm sharing with my comp. I loved EVERYTHING that was in there. I only have one request of one last thing for my next package, if it's not too much.. I need rechargable batteries. I can't listen to music right now. Rayovak is the ONLY brand that works here, so if that's possible than definitely do it.

I'm glad you guys are having a blast in Europe. I am sweating it out here. It's so hot.. all the time. I sweat more and more every day. I do love that gatorade, that'll be a nice boost. Anyway, the hills are getting easier by the day, I'm starting to get used to them.

I went on an intercambio with a zone leader the other day. He has 1 year and 10 months, SOO much time, but actually my spanish wasn't too far behind his. I'm gonna keep learning more and more but I am pretty happy with where my spanish is right now. I love having a native comp. But on the intercambio I learned so much. I really enjoy going out with different missionaries to learn from what they have learned in the mission. It's really neat to see.

I am jealous that you got to see matt and cate..

but, life goes on, the mission goes on, and time as well.. Time is so strange in general, but especially on the mission. Some days it feels like I've been out forever, some days it feels like I just got here. I am happy to be where I am right now.

Honestly, I really am happy. Like.. The happiest I've been in my life. Maybe I'm crazy, but I have found the real key to my personal happiness is to completely forget myself.

I love the work. As my comp says, "Cada segundo de la mision se goza," Or every second of the mission is enjoyed. EVERY SECOND.

Call me about 3 oclock my time and I will be a happy man. I cannot wait to hear from you. I love you two, excited for you dad that you get to see your old ward, and am grateful for you momma and your patience.

One more thing.. I have noticed that I have become a little more spiritually aware on the mission. I thought about buford the other day.. I couldn't get it off the mind. Tell him to go to the doctor and get a heart checkup. IDK why, i just felt like that was something that needed to be done.

I love you two. Be safe in Europe! I understand since they've killed Bin Laden it's been crazy high terrorist threat. I'll keep you in my prayers. I'm glad he's dead though, our military is so bad-a.

Till next week, not a second wasted,

Elder C. Rufus Sweeney

No comments:

Post a Comment