Sunday, August 12, 2012

Down to 2 Transfers


Well, I'm now on the countdown on the mission. Two transfers. Two short transfers and I'm back at the house. Today two missionaries that were going home stopped by the house and talked for a second. Elder De Leon (the one that lived with me in Fantino for 2 transfers) and Elder Newmeyer, who was asistent and served in this area as ZL for 4 transfers. It was cool seeing them, but it made me realize just how short my mission is. I only have 2 more transfers... Elder De Leon was a greenie when he was with me in Fantino, tomorrow he'll be boarding a plane to Texas... Time is so short now.. I won't get too sentimental though, promise.

There has been an increase in the delincuency in my area. The other night the police drove by and fired a shot in the air to break up a group of gangsters. We're fine though, no need to worry, just something I've been noticing about the entire country, the delincuency is horrible. Again, don't worry, I'll be home for Christmas, alive, well, and happy, I just tell you this to tell you about things in general.

That looks like a really sweet vacation you're on. Do you guys have to travel the world after I'm gone? I know I'm in a foreign country, but you don't have to go and get jealous and travel everywhere without me. Nah, but I'm a little jealous though, I must say. I was laying down for a nice p-day nap today when the power went out and with it my fan.. Say goodbye to any sort of rest when the light goes here.. It's not gonna happen. I just laid there, sweaty, in my bed for about an hour, got up in frustration and took a cold shower to cool off. Now, I'm sweating again in this internet center. Sometimes I feel like these next 2 months couldn't go fast enough.

We've been working with a really great little family right now. They've been progressing beautifully. They're reading the book of mormon, loving it, and praying and what not. We just need to get them to church. Shouldn't be too hard, they're already friends with the bishop. The bishop is the man, by the way. I don't know if you've heard, but the bishop actually served in the area I'm in now for 9 months, and not to long ago. I think about a year and a half ago. So a bunch of his baptisms are now the sheep of his ward.

We have a baptism this Saturday. His name is Arjenis. He's actually one of the rising stars in this country in basketball. He's on the youth traveling team and he plays all over the carribean. He's about 6' 6" and only 17 years old. Great kid. It's been crazy teaching him and we've had to change around our schedule to be able to teach him, but it's been totally worth it. He was actually taught a long time ago by my father in the mission, Elder Walker and still just loves Walker.

One more thing and maybe the most important thing in this letter.. I need that personal card ASAP. The packages that were already sent are costing me HUGE money and the little bit of money that I had for emergencies from the last apoyo ran out, along with all of this one in a matter of 3 days. In other words, I have almost no money, and there are 12 days until the next apoyo comes. It's a need now, I need that personal card.

I love you two. I am glad you are having a great time on your vacation. You both needed it. Don't worry, I'm sweating enough for the both of us here.

Till next week, not a second wasted,

Elder C. Rufus Sweeney

No comments:

Post a Comment