Sunday, October 30, 2011

Frank and Fernando

Dear family:
It's been a great week. Challenging.. But great. It was the best of times and the worst of times. That man who we're teaching that is the most knowledgeable man in the world on the bible, remember him? Turns out he's read the bible 21 times. What??? I haven't done very many things 21 times in my life. Reading the bible 21 times is absolutely incredible, and also explains why he practically has it memorized. He just quotes us strings of scriptures like a poetry reciting competition. He says he does want to be a disciple of ours, but dag nab it we're gonna bring in back up, and we recruited the district president, president Vargas (who is a convert and apparently has a story similar to Frank, the investigator). And I'll be sure and let you know how it goes. I'm pumped to be honest for that lesson.

That wasn't all the fun with frank. But then there's Fernando. Wow. He's absolutely amazing. When we gave him the book of mormon he told us he was going to put it in a safe place, where he keeps all his precious things and he wanted to laminate the pages. The he asked if we had more. We told him yes, but we only give it to people that we know will take care of it and put it to use. He was almost in tears I think. And this is a 22 year old man that isn't short on worldly possesions. He just has a humble heart and a sincere desire to know the truth. With those two things the lord prepared him. We came back and he had read a lot of the book and marked his favorite scripture, which happened to be my favorite, Alma's discourse on faith. So beautiful.

I love the work. I am so pumped to talk to you two at Christmas, and I have to say.. I'll let you know if I want to talk to anyone else. I may very well just be happy with the family. I can't wait to speak spanish with Matt and Mike. We'll see if they can understand me. Hahaha I don't know if they'll be able to with my Dominican.

I love you two. I promise a better letter next week, but I'm almost out of time right now.

Till next week, seriously, not a second wasted,

Elder C. Rufus Sweeney

No comments:

Post a Comment