Monday, November 1, 2010

Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Anyway, last night was the last devotional here in Provo, and man am I glad I was there for it. It was Richard G. Scott. He gave us, bullet point by bullet point, the most important lessons he's learned in this life. I am so grateful for his words. He gave all who was there, with the power of an apostle of the Lord, the gift of tongues. Not that we would instantly know the language, but that when diligently worked for the ability to speak the language would become easier.
I'm a little worried about the MTC in the Dominican. It's not that I am scared of a new country, but I'm just really scared... of a new country. Especially one with a Cholera outbreak. Honestly though, I trust that I'll be ok. The church is really good about pulling elders out of an unsafe area.
Spanish is coming little by little, line upon line as they say. I would say I'm about normal right now in my ability to understand and communicate. I am always humbled when I try and listen to conference talks en espanol. It makes my head hurt trying to keep up.
I'm gonna address momma now. I am NOT, and I repeat NOT homesick. I don't want her to think that based on the fact maybe in her mind I haven't gotten enough letters. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE getting letters, but that's not what's going to get me through the mission, nor through life. I need to trust in the Lord. That's all. Thanks for your concern though momma.
When I read about Oklahoma losing and Cholera in Haiti in the same letter I thought you were honestly trying to talk me into coming home.... ok not really, but two bombs in one letter. Not ok. Try and evenly space the good news and bad news next time. haha you're killing me dad.
Well, the MTC here in Provo was a good experience, but I'm ready to move on. I am ready to go to the dominican and soak up the rays... and humidity... and mosquitos.
No, honestly though I am so excited to be in a different place. It kinda sucks to be a block away from where you went to school, from where all your friends are, and not ever be able to see them.
BTW, I AM flying through dallas tomorrow. But, I don't want you to trouble yourself with coming to see me because I get to call you! Isn't that awesome? expect a call sometime tomorrow from yours truly.
also, tell rachelle and cameron I'm going to Email them when I get to the field, but right now in the MTC it's too hard to Email with the limited time. Tell Cameron to send me hard letters. They are always appreciated. And emphasize detail, I wanna know what's going on!
I can't wait to be out in the field. Not that I don't like this place. Actually, quite the contrary. I am way too comfortable here. I want my mission to be hard. The harder my mission is the more I grow. I am so glad I'm going to a third world country where the electricity is undependable and there is a disease outbreak. Ok, that sounds weird when I type it out but honestly, the more difficult the mission the better. I love it. Bring it on.
Last night I got my first taste of dominican hardships. The light in our bedroom here at the MTC blew up and was letting out some toxic gases. My companion and took our mattresses and slept in the hallway. It was... well actually not so bad. But I felt like I was already out in the field in a weird way.
Ok, 12 minutes to say everything I have to say. I love all of you. Seriously, your letters are exactly what I need in the day. Their words always seem to be exactly what I need to hear (except the OU loss). Being totally isolated from friends and family is the best way to find out just what they mean to you. I have found out that you mean everything to me.
3 weeks down, half a transfer, and still I'm doing well. Pray for me. Always. I'll pray for you.

Till next week from another part of the world, not a second wasted.
Elder C. Rufus Sweeney


A little while later...

oh, and BOOOOOOOOOOMERRRRRRRR!
(I still say it with pride)

And still later...

two more minutes, i don't want to waste it. I love all of those who are thinking of me. Pray for my safety as I travel. ok, seriously, now, I'll talk to you guys tomorrow so it's not super important I say this but...
Thank you. You raised a good man. with patience, he's actually turned out pretty decent. :)
ok, bye bye.

1 comment: